The Mission Statement:
The mission of Pickett's Mill Elementary School Counseling Program is to develop lifelong learners and independent thinkers. We support all students in acquiring the competencies, knowledge, skills and attitudes for academic, career and personal/social development while becoming responsible individuals and productive members of society.
- Each child is a unique learner who deserves to be treated with dignity and respect.
- In providing a safe and supportive learning environment and in advocating for children, believing that all children can succeed and achieve greatness.
- The counseling program should value the ethnic, racial, cultural and special needs for all students.
- In providing a comprehensive and developmentally rich guidance curriculum based on ASCA Standards and ethics, differentiating to meet a variety of student needs.
- Every child should be given the opportunity to develop and strengthen their leadership abilities.
- In partnering with students, parents, staff and community to work together to create a successful learning environment.
And that the School Counseling Program:
- Is centered around the child and is developmental in nature, preventative in design and comprehensive in scope.
- Has a delivery system that includes school guidance curriculum, individual planning, responsive services and system support.
- Is an integral part of a total educational program for student success.
- Is implemented by a credentialed school counselor who abides by the ASCA code of ethics and participates in ongoing professional development.
- Uses data to drive program decisions and monitors student progress.
- Shares successes and seeks improvement each year on results.
Each child is a unique individual who should be celebrated for his or her strengths and weaknesses. We embrace the opportunity to work with others in our school community to address the needs of the whole child. We will focus on developing leadership skills or potential in all of our students.